The aims and purpose of the art curriculum are;
- To develop the children’s ability to observe, learn and record from first-hand experiences and from imagination, inspiring and challenging them to experiment, invent and create their own works of art.
- To provide children with the opportunities to use a variety of materials, tools and processes, including ICT, safely, experimentally and with increasing confidence, technical control and skills.
- To develop the ability to discuss and evaluate their own work and that of others, in a constructive but critical manner, using the language of Art, Craft and Design.
- To foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the work of artists, craftspeople, architects and designers, both past and present.
- To increase awareness of how Art, Craft and Design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of local and wider communities.
Our Unit 1 focus is around drawing.
The EYFS children will be developing their drawing across the year. The children will be working on making marks and different shapes. They will have the opportunity to use different media and drawing tools and have the freedom to experiment with these. There will also be plenty of adult lead activities which will help the children to develop their drawing control too.
In Year 1, the children will begin to look at different types of media and get used to how they draw and which they like and don't like.
In Year 2, the children will be able to begin to select their own media based on their knowledge and understanding of what is most appropriate to create different types of marks.
The Year 3 children will practice shading, hatching and blending with their drawing media.
In Year 4, the children are going to select their own drawing materials and apply the shading, hatching and blending knowledge they learnt in Year 3.
The Year 5 children will be focusing on scale and proportion with their drawing and to are going to begin to add some further detail to their work.
Year 6 are going to use all of the knowledge and techniques that they have learnt across their school journey to create a drawing that has multiple focal points.
Please come back soon to see the work we have been doing in our first unit of Art this year!
Lancashire planning areas and expectations
Our Art Yearly Overview: