Welcome to Class 1GW
Week ending 13.10.17
This week we have been......
- Maths- Learning a range of strategies to work out subtraction sentences. We can now subtract by taking away, counting on, counting back and using number bonds. We will be applying these skills in word problems next week.
- Literacy- Learning all about recounts. We now know that a recount is a way of retelling something we did using time words like first, next, then, finally. We have looked at a recount from Little Red Riding Hood telling us what she did to go and see her Grandma. Then we started to plan our own recount on what we do in the morning to get ready to come to school.
- Topic- Geography. After learning about human and physical geography features and looking at different maps of Stacksteads. We then went on a Geography field trip around Stacksteads to identify these features in real life and find them on a map. We all had a really great time and we all did really well identifying where we were on the map and what different symbols there were. We pointed out lots of human and physical geography features as we walked. We were also very lucky to have Miss Ringland as our geography guide who told us lots of very interesting things about the area. Thank you Miss Ringland, Mrs Kendall and Mrs Thorpe for joining and helping us on the walk. Well done to all the children for being so well behaved and being fantastic geographers!
- PE-Joining in some ring dances of Oranges and Lemons and There was a Princess long a go. We all danced very well together and loved acting and dancing out the different parts.
- Computing- Instructing the Bee Bot to move around on the computer. We used our skills of instructions to help guide the Bee Bot to the correct place on the map.
- Science- exploring different materials to see which materials are opaque and which are transparent.
- PSHE- continuing to sharing our special pictures to the class. We are all really enjoying speaking in front of the class to share our special picture and we enjoy asking questions about them.
Class 1GW Geography Walk.
PE days are Tuesday and Thursday
Homework books sent home on Friday, to be returned on Thursday.
Spellings sent home every Friday
Autumn Term- What are we learning this term?
We have been reading and enjoying lots of traditional stories.
Our class story is Little Red Riding Hood. We have already enjoyed retelling the story using puppets and story maps and over the next few weeks we are going to be using our great writing skills to re-write our own story.
We follow the Inspire Maths scheme which helps build firm foundations and a deep understanding of mathematical concepts through a concrete-pictorial-abstract approach.
Children are taught skills and develop a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.
Our current units that we are working on encourage the children to use their skills and knowledge from Reception class to develop a deeper understanding of numbers to 10, discovering number bonds and patterns within these numbers and using these skills to develop a deeper understanding of addition and subtraction.
There are many units within the inspire books that we follow and regular updates on this page will let you know what we will be working on next.
Our topic subjects are taught in a block of 3 weeks.
Our current topic subject is: Geography
We will be learning about our local area Stacksteads. We will be learning about human and physical geography features around our area and identify these on maps. We will be going on a field trip around our local area to identify human and physical features.